The Heinkel was introduced in Germany in 1954 by 'its namesake'
Professor Ernst Heinkel. Being the builder of the first rocket
powered aircraft and supplying the Nazi war effort with some
extremely effective machinery, Heinkel's aircraft company
experienced financial problems after World War II as the need for
aircraft dramatically dropped. Inspired by the Isetta, Ernst
Heinkel then set about building his own version of the 'bubble
car'. 'The Heinkel' featured an opening front that led to a bench
type seat and unlike the Isetta, the steering column was static
when the door was opened. The last German built Heinkel was made in
June 1958 (the year that Ernst Heinkel died) and it was then that
the Irish Government started negotiations for a takeover bid.
The bid was successful with production of the Heinkel moving to
Dundalk in Ireland. In 1963, Trojan of Croydon took over the plant
and production was switched to Croydon, England where they
continued to make the Heinkel under the new name of the Trojan, the
engines of which were still manufactured in Germany. With the
Trojan later being modified to righthand drive for the UK market,
production continued until 1965 when the competition against the
Austin Mini put a strain on sales.
Originally registered on the 28th July, 1959, this
Trojan has been owned by the current vendor since 2008 and forms
part of his extensive collection of microcars. We are advised this
Heinkel runs well and she was last taxed and used on the road in
2014. The paintwork appears to be original and is a testament to
the quality of these interesting vehicles; the interior has been
re-trimmed at some stage although to a good standard. This Heinkel
is by no means a concours example but she does present in a
perfectly useable and tidy condition. Supplied with a V5C
registration document and an owners manual.
For sale by auction on Saturday 26 November 2016 with Historics at Brooklands, Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit, Weybridge, Surrey, Call 01753 639170