With their 'coal scuttle' bonnet and side radiators, the commonality of aesthetic design that extended from Renault's famed Paris-Vienna race cars through to smaller four, two and single cylinder production, has always meant that these high quality cars had sporting looks and have always been coveted.
By 1903, Renault had moved on from using De Dion engines to power their cars and were now producing their own engines. The Type N-C consisted of a twin-cylinder engine, with atmospheric inlet and mechanical exhaust valves, and driving through a 3 speed gearbox. It was rated at 10hp and geared for roughly 40mph.
This handsome veteran twin-cylinder Renault was discovered in Kent in 1969 by George Dorrington, a well known V.C.C. enthusiast and founder member of the popular Renault Frères Club. Still in the era when cars were literally being saved, George's discovery at a Canterbury scrapyard yielded a near complete car, from chassis to radiator, dated water reservoir tank marked '4/3' (for April 1903), bonnet, steering column, etc. all in a dismantled state. Its only major omissions were that it lacked its original twin cylinder engine and the majority of its wooden body had long since been lost.
Simply from its chassis specification it was clear that the car had the proportions of the larger twin cylinder cars and research ultimately concluded that it was a Type N-C. When found, much of the framework for its wagonette body was still present giving a clear template for how it would have been originally and so the decision was made to restore it to this same format.
For the next two decades, alongside other projects which George got great pleasure from restoring, he worked diligently on the Renault. Ultimately it was the sourcing of a correct Renault twin cylinder unit that proved the most elusive, until a dialogue was struck up with Depanoto in France and a period correct unit found.
George Dorrington finished the Type N-C in the mid 1990s and it was duly submitted for Veteran Car Club dating, and its year of 1903 confirmed then. Since this time the car has been a regular sight on London to Brighton Runs, Renault Frères Club and Veteran Car Club events, with George and members of his family piled into its commodious 6 seater bodywork. On his passing, the car moved to the next generation of his family and has been used less frequently, leading to the decision to part with it.
A great looking example of the larger twin-cylinder cars from one of the few manufacturers of the period that survive to this day, the Renault offers a fun and sociable way to enjoy these events with friends and family.