- 1 of just 843 RHD examples made and supplied new by Henlys of London
- Treated to an extensive, photographically documented 'chassis up' restoration by long-term custodian Martin Sambrook during the early 1990s
- Matching chassis and engine numbers, overdrive from new and more recently enhanced with EZ power steering and seatbelts
Launched at the 1954 Motor Show, the XK140 boasted the same bewitching styling as its forebear but allied it to a host of mechanical improvements. Chief among these was the adoption of rack and pinion steering. Though, the fitment of telescopic shock absorbers (in place of the XK120's antiquated lever arm dampers) also had a noticeably beneficial effect on handling / roadholding. With its engine and bulkhead repositioned three inches further forward, the new model enjoyed a notably roomier cabin (the fixed and drophead coupe variants gaining occasional rear seats as a result). Available in 'standard', 'special equipment' or 'special equipment plus C-type cylinder head' guises, power and torque outputs ranged from a quoted 190bhp/210lbft to 210bhp/213lbft. Distinguished by its one-piece bumpers and simpler, more imposing radiator grille, the XK140 was among the fastest cars of its generation. Reputedly capable of over 130mph, it focused public consciousness on Jaguar's continued success at Le Mans (the Coventry marque winning the endurance classic in 1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957).
According to its accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, chassis 804750DN was supplied new via Henlys of London. Road registered as `NBL 232' on 6th September 1956 by Berkshire County Council, a photocopied logbook on file indicates that the Jaguar had relocated to Buckinghamshire some six years later. Belonging to Barry A. Tanner Esq at the time, the XK140 subsequently passed to long-term custodian Martin Sambrook Esq. who treated it to an extensive, photographically documented `chassis up' restoration during the early 1990s. Purchased by the late C.J. Trigwell Esq from John Parker Esq of Fordingbridge on 14th May 2007 for £50,000, the Fixed Head Coupe appears to have been well looked after ever since and shows just two former keepers on its V5C Registration Document. More than twenty years after its refurbishment was completed the Jaguar now has some cosmetic flaws. However, the overall impression is of a presentable motor car that the late Mr Trigwell's executors variously rate as being in `very good' (engine, paintwork) or `excellent' (bodywork, electrics, four-speed manual plus overdrive gearbox, interior trim) condition. Invoices on file from marque specialist Twyford Moors show that Mr Trigwell had the XK140 fitted with EZ electric power steering and seatbelts to enhance its usability in modern traffic. One of just 843 right-hand drive examples made, this desirable `home market' Fixed Head Coupe also looks to pleasingly retain its original engine.