1955 AUSTIN-HEALEY 100 MODIFIED TO M SPECIFICATION
H&H Classics | 12-Oct-2016 | Imperial War Museum Duxford | Venue : Duxford Cambridgeshire CB22 4QR
Category : Classic Cars
Lot No. : 109
Year : 1955
Engine Size : 2660cc
Colour : Red
Interior : Black
Registration No. : NVB 884
Chassis No. : BN1/224917
Engine No. : 1B/224917M
No longer available - Sold or withdrawn from sale
 

 

- 100M conversion kit fitted, finished in red with black piped red interior
- The subject of much work with an engine overhaul by Denis Welch prior to acquisition by the vendor
- Detailed history file, c.68,500 miles believed genuine, Heritage Certificate, original RHD UK car
As part of his publicity campaign to promote the Austin-Healey 100/4 BN1, Donald Healey entered a team of four pre-production cars for the 1953 Le Mans 24-hour race. Running with standard windscreens, interiors and even bumpers, two of this mildly tweaked quartet survived to finish 12th and 14th overall (an amazing result for such comparatively inexpensive cars in near showroom condition). Eager to capitalize on this success (and also to comply with the event's homologation requirements) Healey persuaded BMC to list a 'Le Mans kit' (twin 1.75 inch SU carburettors, high-lift camshaft, revised distributor advance curve and stronger valve springs etc) in its parts catalogue for 1954. Known officially as part P-280, it was available to fit on new or old models alike and by dealers or private individuals. Adopted by BMC themselves (together with the addition of a louvred bonnet complete with leather strap) for the 100M version of the BN2 100/4 introduced at the 1955 London Motor Show, it has remained a popular modification package ever since.
This delightful home market RHD example has been in the current ownership since 2000 during which time it has been the subject of much work to bring it to the standard we see today. Displaying some 68,750 believed genuine miles as evidenced by correspondence on file, it is understood to have formed part of the collection at Sorn Castle when owned by Mr Mcintyre in the 1970s/80s. Denis Welch carried out an engine overhaul for the next keeper in 1990 and, since acquisition by the vendor, noted marque specialists Orchard Restorations have carried out a number of works including repairs to the body and the fitting of an alloy cylinder head in 2000, a rear suspension overhaul in 2002, rear brake overhaul in 2009 and the fitment of an M Spec air box and badges in 2013. In 2005 the gearbox was overhauled and a new clutch fitted by Colin Groom. A complete retrim in black piped with red at a cost of £5750 was also completed in 2009 by Molesey Coach Trimmers. Invoices for these works are contained in the detailed history file accompanying the car along with a Swansea V5C, MoT to March 2017, Heritage Certificate, list of owners back to 1961, photographs of works in progress and other sundry correspondence.