'DS 7197' was exported to the USA from new in 1910. At some point it then dwelt in Holland before being imported to the UK in 1983 by the late motor dealer Stephen Langton. The vendor acquired the Renault a few months later, so has now been its keeper for 32 years. Retaining as much originality as possible, he restored the Phaeton over a two year period, during which the rear section of the body was replaced. In 1985 it was confirmed as a 1910 build Renault Model BY by the late Anthony Ronald, the then historian for Renault Fr?res - a club for those owning pre-1940 Renault motorcars. The following year it was officially dated by the Veteran Car Club and comes complete with the resulting certificate.
The Renault has been the subject of continual maintenance throughout the vendor's tenure, during which time the rear pair of artillery wheels have been refurbished, and new bearings installed in the gearbox and rear axle. A replacement radiator was fitted in 2004, while in 2006 the 4.4-litre engine was treated to a major overhaul during which new valves, cast alloy pistons and crankshaft and big end bearings were installed, the crankshaft journals cleaned up, and the unit rebored. In deference to safety and modern day usage, the Renault now features an electric starter motor and electric lights.
The car is very smartly-presented and the vendor informs us that it's 'very fast and reliable and has never let him down'. He considers the engine and electrical equipment to be 'excellent' and the bodywork, Blue- paintwork, Black leather interior trim and four-speed manual transmission to all be in 'very good' condition. He is now looking for a new home for this splendid Edwardian motorcar, which comes complete with replaced parts and a history file full of paperwork and photos.