- Highly desirable 'home market' Special Equipment model that pleasingly retains matching chassis and engine numbers
- Less than 200 miles since emerging from a meticulous, show quality restoration by marque specialists XK Engineering
- The nicest example we have encountered and uprated with a later four-speed manual plus overdrive gearbox
The final iteration of the XK sportscar line and the last Jaguar to carry a separate chassis, the XK150 was introduced in May 1957. While its use of independent torsion-bar front suspension, a 'live' leaf-sprung rear axle and rack-and-pinion steering mirrored the practice of its XK140 predecessor, the new model benefited from the option of all-round Dunlop disc brakes (though, in practice very few - if any - cars were delivered with drum brakes). Stylistically, the newcomer was brought up-to-date with less ostentatious curves and a larger, wrap-around single piece windscreen. The dashboard too was altered eschewing wood trim for padded leather. With the E-type still very much under development, Jaguar was keen to sustain the sporting reputation that a remarkable five Le Mans victories (1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957) had earned it.
Initially powered by a 3442cc derivative of the marque's race-proven DOHC straight-six engine, the XK150 could be had in Fixed-Head Coupe, Open Two-Seater (Roadster) or Drophead Coupe guises. More expensive than the other bodystyles, the soft-top coupe boasted occasional rear seats and a fully lined hood. Ticking the 'Special Equipment' box on the order form resulted in the following upgrades: B-type cylinder head, overdrive, twin-exhaust system and wire wheels. With a claimed 210hp on tap, the 'SE' 3.4 Litre cars were reputedly capable of 0-60mph in 8.5 seconds and 124mph. Total right-hand drive XK150 Drophead Coupe production is thought to have amounted to just 663 cars (for both 3.4 litre and 3.8 litre variants). Unsurprisingly, survivors are highly prized by collectors.
Quite simply the nicest XK150 Drophead Coupe we have thus far encountered, '300 JGP' is a desirable 'home market' Special Equipment model that has only recently emerged from a two-year long restoration by marque specialists XK Engineering. A testament to the quality of the Coventry firm's work, the Jaguar was stripped to a bare chassis before being painstakingly refurbished. Thoroughly overhauled, its 'matching numbers' 3.4 litre straight-six DOHC engine (number V6989-8) was allied to a later four-speed manual plus overdrive transmission for increased drivability. The steering, suspension and four-wheel disc brakes were reconditioned too and a new wiring loom installed. Repainted in its initial Cotswold Blue livery, the 2+2-seater also gained a re-trimmed interior, new Dark Blue hood, replated brightwork and new chrome wire wheels shod with fresh tyres. The resulting machine is impressive to say the least and has covered a mere 200 miles since the completion of its meticulous, show quality restoration. Only reluctantly being offered for sale due to a change in the vendor's plans, this very special Jaguar is being further fettled by XK Engineering prior to its appearance at IWM Duxford. Worthy of close inspection, '300 JGP' is accompanied by a Jaguar Heritage Certificate, history file and numerous photographs chronicling its rejuvenation (housed on a memory stick).