H&H Classics | 12-Oct-2016 | Imperial War Museum Duxford | Venue : Duxford Cambridgeshire CB22 4QR
Category : Classic Cars
Lot No. : 75
Year : 1934
Engine Size : 1479cc
Colour : Black
Interior : Green
Registration No. : JW 5703
Chassis No. : NA0448
No longer available - Sold or withdrawn from sale


- Purchased new by Ken Crawford and used in period competition
- Restored to a high standard by current engineer owner
- 1479cc six-cylinder engine with twin rear- mounted spare wheels
Following the vogue for small capacity six-cylinder sports cars of the early 1930s, MG produced the N-Type Magnette from 1934 to 1936. A development of the K & L-Types but replacing the simple ladder frame of the earlier cars with a tapering chassis, the model was to be the last of their 'Light Sixes'.
According to the copy factory records accompanying the car, chassis NA/0448 was supplied with two-seat coachwork, finished in black with green interior, to renowned MG driver Ken Crawford via Messrs. C. Attwood & Sons of Wolverhampton on 20th October 1934 and registered JW 5703. The records note the car was fitted with NE engine modifications plus a number of other modifications including NE specification carburettors and distributor together with a raised compression ratio of 8.2:1, lapped head and Luvax shock absorbers fitted to the front axle in addition to the Hartford items. Clearly Crawford had competition work in mind and he went on to use the car in a number of events during his ownership including the 1935 Land's End and Edinburgh Trials. Copy photographs and articles from Light Car magazine are included in the history file illustrating some of his exploits with it. At some point, the car is understood to have been fitted with HRG two-seater bodywork - as evidenced by a photograph on file, before falling into disuse.
The vendor, a life-long engineer, purchased the car in 1987 and set about a complete restoration to very high standards including fitting reproduction aluminium bodywork. This labour of love was to take nearly 30 years and the result is a true testament to his skills. Resplendent in its original colour scheme, the car is powered by a 1479cc six-cylinder engine and retains the twin rear- mounted spare wheel set up specified by Crawford.
Offered with a beautifully presented, detailed history file and Swansea V5 document, this wonderful MG is worthy of the closest inspection.