- Ex-Major Goldie Gardner, original registration number
- Recent expenditure exceeds £4,000 on suspension, tyres etc.
- Retrimmed in red leather, 16 inch wheels, removable steering wheel
MG's new TC model was announced within five weeks of peace returning to Europe following WW2. Only available in RHD, power came from the company's proven 1250cc OHV XPAG unit mated to a four-speed gearbox. With an output of 54.4bhp, it was capable of an impressive top speed approaching 80mph.
As evidenced by the accompanying buff logbook, this early example was originally the property of Major A T Goldie Gardner OBE MC, winner of three BRDC Gold Stars and a highly accomplished racing driver and record breaker both pre and post-World War Two. In 1939, his streamlined MG exceeded 200mph and took a number of 1100cc and 1500cc class records at Dessau, Germany. Indeed, between 1936 and 1950 he set over 100 international and national speed records in Europe and the USA.
His close relationship with MG naturally resulted in him taking possession of one of the new TC models in 1946. Registered in his name on 23 March of that year, he kept the car until 1948 when it passed to the Watson family of Purley, Surrey. Details of further keepers up to 1973 are recorded on further buff logbooks offered with the car. Recent works exceeding £4,000 have included converting the front lever arms to Spax adjustable shock absorbers with telescopic dampers being fitted to the rear. The brakes were also overhauled at this time. The interior has been retrimmed in red leather and a removable steering wheel is fitted whilst a single aero screen enhances its sporting appeal. Understood to be fitted with fibreglass wings, the car sits well on its 16inch wheels with recent Avon tyres. Kept in a heated, dehumidified garage, the car benefits from both a hood and sidescreens, whilst its interesting early history would make it an excellent addition to any MG collection.