NSU produced some outstanding and influential motorcycles during the 1950s, foremost of which was the 250cc Max. Announced in September 1952, the Max used a pressed-steel frame and leading-link front fork like its Fox and Lux predecessors, but its most unusual feature was the Albert Roder-designed 'Ultramax' connecting-link drive for the overhead camshaft. This idea was not new, Bentley had used a similar arrangement in the 1920s/1930s, but Roder's overcame the design's previous shortcomings. Special Max, Max 300, Supermax, Geländemax, and racing Sportmax versions followed. Quick for a 250 (top speed was 75-80mph) and endowed with exceptional handling thanks to its superior cycle parts, the Max could show many a larger machine the way home over twisty terrain.
Originally a Supermax, this Netherlands-registered machine has been expertly converted into a replica of the works Geländemax enduro model using information and photographs from the factory. The project was started in 2000, then put on hold for 14 years, and was only completed earlier this year. The engine has been completely overhauled and fitted with a Geländemax camshaft, while the cycle parts likewise have been restored and brought up to Geländemax specification, complete with lengthened front fork, 21 front wheel, high-level exhaust system, widened swingarm, wider rear mudguard, etc.