1936 NORTON 490CC CJ1/INTERNATIONAL (SEE TEXT)
Bonhams | 16-Oct-2016 | The Autumn Stafford Sale Important Collectors Motorcycles | Venue : Stafford, Staffordshire County Showground
Category : Classic Motorcycles
Lot No. : 215
Year : 1936
Engine Size : -
Registration No. : YVL 465
Chassis No. : # 5/59686
Engine No. : # G11/45515
No longer available - Sold or withdrawn from sale
 
Property of a deceased's estate
 

• Fitted with a 490cc Model 30 International engine
• Engine gearbox and forks rebuilt by George Cohen
• Restoration completed by the Sammy Miller Museum in 2015
Like the majority of their contemporaries, Norton relied on the sidevalve engine until the introduction of its first overhead-valve design in 1922, and the resulting Norton Model 18 was a big success on the road. On the racetrack however, Velocette had shown the way forward when its overhead-camshaft KTT romped away from the field in the 1926 Junior TT, and Norton responded with its own similar engine the following year. Designed by Walter Moore, the Norton motor retained the firm's traditional 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions, employing bevel gears and a vertical shaft to drive the cams in KTT fashion. The cycle parts too were new, a cradle frame and saddle tank appearing for the first time on the works CS1 racer, which scored a debut win in the 1927 Isle of Man Senior TT with Alec Bennett. The production CS1 duly appeared at the Motor Cycle Show later that same year.
Towards the end of the 1930 season, a new overhead-camshaft engine began to be seen in the works Nortons. Designed by Arthur Carroll, this replaced the original 'cammy' motor drawn up by Moore, recently departed for NSU, and first appeared in production Nortons made for the 1931 model year. The existing CS1 (490cc) and CJ1 (348cc) model designations were carried over from the Moore era, and the pair continued as Norton's top-of-the-range sports roadsters until 1932 when the arrival of the competition-orientated International models saw them re-branded as refined sports-tourers.
Despatched from the factory on 20th January 1936 to dealer Victor Horsman in Liverpool, this CJ1 has been fitted with the 490cc engine from a 1952 Model 30 International. Details of the factory records, supplied by the Norton Owners Club (see file), reveal that the machine was originally equipped with International forks, narrow mudguards, magdyno, and speedometer.
It is not known when the late owner acquired the Norton; however, correspondence on file reveals that he had completed most of its restoration - the engine, gearbox, and forks having been rebuilt by respected marque expert, the late George Cohen - before entrusting the renowned Sammy Miller Museum with finishing the project for him early in 2015. Works carried out by SMM include fitting new mudguards; aligning the front wheel and forks; making new mounts for the seat front, speedometer, and rev counter; and refitting the fuel tank, André steering damper, reproduction oil tank, Amal 10TT9 carburettor, BTH magneto, etc (see correspondence/invoices on file). There is no registration document with this Lot.