P.V. motorcycles were built at Perry Vale in the Southeast London suburb of Forest Hill by Messrs Elliston & Hill, commencing in 1911. The firm soon changed its name to P.V. Motorcycles Ltd. Pivoted fork rear suspension was an unusual feature right from the start, and machines so-equipped sported a 'Spring Frame' logo on the fuel tank. Forks were sourced from Druid or Chater Lea, while engines were supplied by JAP. Single and twin-cylinder models were offered. After 1912 the firm favoured the latter for a few years before adding a Villiers-engined lightweight to the range. The lightweight was its sole offering immediately after WWI. As far as production models were concerned, lightweight two-strokes predominated until a 2¾hp four-stroke single and 5/6hp v-twin were added to the range for 1921. There were soon no fewer than ten models on offer, powered by Villiers, JAP, and Barr & Stroud engines. One R V Crauford entered P.V. motorcycles in both the 1923 Lightweight and 1924 Junior TT races in the Isle of Man, with a best finish of 12th in the former. P.V. built its last motorcycle in 1924, and survivors of this little known London marque are rare.
An earlier restoration, this rare P.V. lightweight is offered for re-commissioning or more extensive refurbishment. The machine comes with an old-style RF60 logbook and old-style V5 registration document.