The first Triumph motorcycle of 1902 used a Belgian Minerva engine, but within a few years the Coventry firm - originally a bicycle manufacturer founded by German immigrants Siegfried Bettman and Maurice Schulte - was building its own power units. The first of these - a 298cc single-cylinder sidevalve - arrived in 1904. This first engine was not without its weaknesses, pistons and bores wore out quickly and the curious 'tandem down-tube' frame in which it was installed broke, but these shortcomings were soon sorted and within a couple of years 'Triumph' was a byword for reliability. One of Triumph's new introductions for 1914 was the Junior, a 225cc two-stroke single. Weighing only 129lb, the Junior featured chain-cum-belt transmission and a two-speed gearbox - the latter being an unusual feature among contemporary lightweights - but there was no clutch and the machine was push-started. Known as the 'Baby' Triumph by the motorcycling public, the Junior reappeared after The Great War and was produced up to 1925, being enlarged to 249cc in 1923.
Fitted with a Bosch ZA1 magneto and reproduction fuel tank, this Triumph Junior is an older restoration requiring re-commissioning or further light restoration. The machine is offered with a parts list.