The Bristol-based Douglas Foundry took up motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed, twin-cylinder engine, and the company would keep faith with this layout until it ceased motorcycle production in 1957. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the design's virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, 2¾hp Douglas machines taking 1st, 2nd and 4th places in the 1912 Junior TT in the Isle of Man. Douglas were quick to realise the advantages of the countershaft gearbox, its three-speed entries gaining the Team Prize in the 1914 Six Days Trial, a conspicuous success that resulted in the firm obtaining a wartime contract for the supply of military machines. Douglas' competition successes continued after The Great War.
An earlier restoration, offered for re-restoration, this 2¾hp Douglas was acquired by Stan Gilks in 1963. Noteworthy features include a two-speed 'coffee grinder' gear, a Lucas headlamp, and P&H rear lamp. Sold strictly as viewed, the machine comes with an old-style V5 document and an RF60 logbook.