• Rare survivor of a short-lived marque
• Present family ownership since 1960
• Many-times Pioneer Run participant
Founded in 1910, the Grandex company was located in London's Grays Inn Road, an area more readily associated with the legal profession than motorcycle production. Grandex's first motorcycle was powered by a 2½hp JAP engine, and there were soon others using power units supplied by Precision and Peco. Druid forks were used; single and twin-cylinder models were offered; and there was a choice of direct drive or the two-speed Enfield gear, while the Precision-engined Pup lightweight came with a two-speed counter-shaft gearbox. The company built motorcycles for only some six years, its products being marketed as 'Grandex-Precision' towards the end.
This rare, Edwardian-era representative of a long-forgotten marque is powered by a single-cylinder JAP sidevalve engine. The engine drives the rear wheel directly by belt via a variable-ratio pulley affording a limited range of gearing. Other noteworthy features include horn handlebar grips and a Miller acetylene headlamp. An older restoration, now somewhat deteriorated and requiring extensive refurbishment, the machine nevertheless appears complete.
Acquired by Stan Gilks in 1960, 'LK 2770' comes with Pioneer Run medals dating from 1961, '63, '64, '65 and '67. The machine is offered with an old-style V5 document and an RF60 logbook issued in 1960, which records licensing up to 1967. The RF60 records the date of original registration as 31st January 1921, this being shortly after the introduction of the Roads Act of 1920, which required local councils to register all vehicles at the time of licensing and to allocate a separate number to each. (Many vehicles, although in existence for several years in some cases, were only registered for the first time after the Act's passing).