Established in Oldham, Lancashire in 1852, Bradbury & Company Limited claimed to be the first manufacturer to build an 'All-British Motor Cycle and Tri-Car', its products having been ridden successfully as early as 1898. Although destined not to survive beyond 1925, Bradbury had amassed an impressive tally of awards and records prior to WWI. 'Speed and Reliability' were claimed as special qualities. The 4hp Bradbury employed a single-cylinder sidevalve engine of 554cc and could be ordered in single-gear belt-driven form or with the refinements of hub gears and chain drive. Perhaps the model's most unusual feature was a crankcase integral with the frame 'ensuring better balance, greater strength and rigidity'.
Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, this rare Veteran-era Bradbury appears substantially complete apart from the missing pulley/belt drive system and front mudguard rear section. The machine is offered with an old-style V5 document and also comes with an RF60 logbook listing three owners: the first in 1926, the second in 1935, and the vendor's father (change undated). The RF60 records the date of original registration as 7th February 1921, this being shortly after the introduction of the Roads Act of 1920, which required local councils to register all vehicles at the time of licensing and to allocate a separate number to each. (Many vehicles, although in existence for several years in some cases, were only registered for the first time after the Act's passing).