1906 NSU 620CC TOURING TWIN PROJECT
Bonhams | 16-Oct-2016 | The Autumn Stafford Sale Important Collectors Motorcycles | Venue : Stafford, Staffordshire County Showground
Category : Classic Motorcycles
Lot No. : 195
Year : 1906
Engine Size : -
Registration No. : LN 5933
Chassis No. : # 9351
Engine No. : # 9351
No longer available - Sold or withdrawn from sale
 

 

• Rare Veteran-era NSU twin
• Single family ownership for over 50 years
• Offered for restoration
Yet another motorcycle manufacturer with its roots in the bicycle industry, NSU built its first powered two-wheeler in 1900. The firm had originally been founded in Neckarsulm, Germany by Christian Schmidt to manufacture knitting machines, its initials standing for Neckarsulm Strickmaschinen Union. Zédel proprietary engines were used initially but within a few years NSU was making its own power units and was one of the first manufacturers to fit two-speed transmission. Designed by its late founder's son, Karl Schmidt, the first all-NSU model of 1903 was powered by a 329cc engine rated at 2½hp and would turn out to be a huge success by the standards of the day, in excess of 2,000 being sold up to 1905. A host of different models was introduced up to the outbreak of war, including a range of v-twins in various sizes. The marque established a strong presence in overseas markets, being exported widely throughout Europe and even to the USA.
This rare Veteran-era NSU is powered by v-twin engine with inlet-over-exhaust valve gear, which drives the rear wheel directly by belt (or would, if one was fitted). Believed restored many years ago, it has seriously deteriorated and requires another thorough rebuild.
'LN 5933' was purchased by Stan Gilks in July 1955 from Mr J Redhouse, previous owner of some of the other machines in the collection, and comes with the purchase receipt (for £18). It appears that Mr Gilks may have sold the NSU and then repurchased it, as there is a letter on file from the NSU factory, dated 17th January 1957 and addressed to a Mr G Shellers of Hove, Sussex (presumably the owner at that time), while the RF60 logbook on file shows that the machine was first registered to Stan Gilks in February 1959. Offered with an old-style V5 registration document.