• MSS frame; KSS Mark II engine
• Present ownership since 1973
• Restored by the Sammy Miller Museum
Continuously developed, the innovative Velocette two-strokes had proved reliable, economical and very popular, but by the early 1920s it had become apparent that a more upmarket model was required. Other manufacturers were fielding new overhead-valve and overhead-camshaft machines, and Veloce Ltd followed suit, the Percy Goodman-designed, overhead-cam Model K first appearing in 1924. Of 348cc, the new engine employed a single overhead camshaft driven by vertical shaft, and was unusual in having a very narrow crankcase, an arrangement determined by the existing transmission and frame design, which made for a stiff crankshaft assembly. A Junior TT win in 1926 followed by 2nd place in 1927 and another win in 1928 ensured a healthy demand for Velocette's overhead-cam roadsters and prompted the launch of the KTT, one of the most successful over-the-counter racers of all time.
By the end of the 1920s Veloce's range of K-Series roadsters boasted a host of variations on the theme that included Normal, Sports, Super Sports, Touring, Economy and twin-port models. Introduced in 1925, the KSS was the Super Sports version while the KTS tourer employed the same overhead camshaft engine in virtually identical cycle parts, differences being confined mainly to mudguard style and wheel sizes. Introduced for the 1936 season, the MkII version of the KSS/KTS represented a major redesign, featuring many improvements including a new aluminium-alloy cylinder head with enclosed valve-gear, plus the cradle frame and heavyweight Webb forks of the new MSS tourer. In this form the KSS resumed production post-war in November 1946 before being updated, together with the other road models, with (optional) Dowty Oleomatic telescopic front forks in August 1947. Expensive to produce, the KSS was dropped from the range at the year's end.
Consisting of an MSS frame and KSS Mark II engine, this motorcycle was in running order when purchased by the late owner in 1973. Ridden occasionally, it spent most of the time in dry storage before being sent to Graham Drinkwater for initial restoration, which was completed by the Sammy Miller Museum in 2015. The related invoice and correspondence are on file, and the machine also comes with a VOC dating letter and V5C Registration Certificate.