The Ariel Leader, and its sports derivative, the Arrow, sought to combine the virtues of speed and agility with those of cleanliness and convenience. Launched in 1958 and powered by an all-new 247cc air-cooled two-stroke twin with unitary gearbox, the Leader also broke with British tradition in its frame and suspension design, employing a stiff, fabricated-steel beam instead of tubes, and a trailing-link front fork. Detachable panels enclosing the engine and most of the rear wheel extended forwards to meet leg-shields and screen, and the rear chain was fully enclosed. Announced late in 1959, the Arrow dispensed with the Leader's enclosure panels and weather protection while remaining mechanically virtually identical. The Arrow was revised for 1961, gaining squish-band, centre-plug cylinder heads while a third model - the Super Sports, universally referred to as the 'Golden Arrow' after its distinctive colour scheme - was added at the same time.
First registered in 1962, this 'ordinary' Arrow has been fitted with an engine of earlier date (change not recorded on the registration documents). Acquired by the vendor from Robertsbridge Classic Motorcycles in 1997 and last taxed in 2001, the machine has covered only 254 miles since being restored, though the finish has deteriorated somewhat over time; kept in dry storage for the last 15 years, it will require light re-commissioning and the usual safety checks prior to further use. Offered with V5 and V5C documents.