Francis Barnett were in business from 1919, and their slogan from the outset was 'Built like a bridge', derived from their method of frame construction. However, by the 1950s they had changed and, like a number of other manufacturers, confined their manufacturing to production of lightweight machines powered by proprietary Villiers engines in capacities ranging from 150 to 225cc. This Plover was purchased by the deceased owner at an indeterminate time. The bike has not been used for many years, being barn-stored in recent times, requiring restoration work by the new owner. Accompanying documentation comprises a current V5C, and the original RF60 buff log book dating from 1956.