• Present ownership for over 30 years
• Restored condition
• Engine rebuilt two years ago
The origins of the Royal Enfield marque can be traced back to a small light engineering firm - George Townsend & Company - founded in Redditch, Worcestershire in mid-Victorian times. The firm moved into bicycle manufacture and by the turn of the century had been reorganised as the Enfield Cycle Company, makers of the 'Royal Enfield'. The Redditch company built its first powered vehicles - De Dion-engined tricycles and quadri-cycles - in the closing years of the 19th Century, and its first motorcycle around 1900. By 1904 the firm was concentrating on car production, resuming motorcycle manufacture in 1910 with a Motosacoche-powered lightweight. Two years later came the successful 6hp motorcycle combination complete with JAP v-twin sidevalve engine, two-speed gear, and all chain drive. Enfield's characteristic cush-drive rear hub appeared for the first time on this model. When motorcycle production resumed after WWI, the Enfield combination re-appeared with an 8hp JAP engine, though this was soon superseded by one of Enfield's own designs, manufactured for them by Vickers. Displacing 976cc, the 8hp engine had been redesigned and was being built at Enfield's Redditch works by 1925, at which time the three-speed Sturmey Archer gearbox and hand clutch were adopted for all models except the two-stroke lightweight. Enfield's 8hp twin continued in production as the Model K until 1936, latterly alongside an 1,140cc export version.
Boasting Enfield's own single-seat sidecar, this 8hp motorcycle combination has been in the current owner's hands for over 30 years. Described by the vendor as in generally good condition, the machine has been restored and further benefits from an engine rebuild (including a re-bore) carried out two years ago, while the magneto was overhauled last year. Accompanying documentation consists of a V5C Registration Certificate, VMCC valuation letter, copy old V5, and an old MoT certificate (expired 2013).