Following the Matchless take-over of 1931, AJS production was relocated to Plumstead where the existing range continued largely unaltered initially. Indeed, the two marques would retain largely separate identities until the outbreak of WW2. AJS's own 998cc sidevalve v-twin was one of the first models to be dropped, disappearing at the end of the '31 season, and for the next 12 months there was no large-capacity 'sidecar tug' in the range. That changed for 1933 with the arrival of the Model 2, which was powered by the engine of the long established Matchless Model X. Designated 'X/2' on its launch in 1925, this 982cc sidevalve v-twin would remain in production until the outbreak of WW2, its engine being supplied to Brough Superior for use in the SS80 from 1935 onwards. While lesser models came and went, the stately Model X and Model 2 remained fixtures of their respective ranges, progressively updated, until 1940.
This AJS Model 2 was one of three v-twins purchased in partially dismantled states from Brian Verrall by the vendor and his brother in October 1979, the other two examples recently selling at Bonhams. It was subsequently dismantled completely and the engine stripped down, the crankshaft was sent away to be professionally refurbished, but then the brother passed away and the AJS has been left untouched for the last 30-or-so years. Sold strictly as viewed, the machine comes with an old-style continuation logbook (1970), an old-style V5 registration document, and a copy 1979 sales invoice.