Just as he had done at Ariel in the 1920s, Val Page transformed his employer's ageing range on his arrival as Triumph's Chief Designer in 1932. The new line-up comprised overhead- and sidevalve singles in capacities ranging from 250 to 500cc, plus the range-topping 650cc 6/1 sidecar tug. Endowed with distinctive timing-gear covers - a feature Page would employ at BSA later in the decade - the engines were simple yet robust in construction, and amenable to a fair degree of tuning in the case of the overhead-valve units. Introduced in 1934, the sidevalve Model 3/1 gained a light-alloy cylinder head during 1936 and continued in production, as either the 3S or coil-ignition 3SC, until the outbreak of WW2. Suitably embellished with extra chrome, the OHV models formed the basis for Edward Turner's Tigers from 1936 onwards.
This particular Model 3/1 has been fitted with a 3S engine dating from 1938. The Triumph was acquired by the current vendor in January 2009, at which time it was a rolling chassis plus a box of parts, having been in the preceding owner's possession for at least the preceding 25 years. Since acquisition, the machine has been reassembled and overhauled; used for various ride-outs, the last in September 2016, it is described as in generally good condition. Accompanying documentation consists of a dating letter and a V5C registration certificate. An original instruction manual is included.