Historics at Brooklands | 26-Nov-2016 | Historics at Brooklands November Sale | Venue : Brooklands Museum
Category : Other
Year : 1958
Engine Size : See Description
Transmission : manual
Registration No. : 899 UKM
Chassis No. : 0860428
Engine No. : A2232291
£ 8,000 - 12,000 Estimate
AEC Militant Flatbed Lorry


The AEC Militant (or 'Milly') was a post-war
development of the Matador used during the Second World War.
Externally, the most noticeable development was that the Mk. I
Militants had six wheels compared to the previous model, the
Matador's four wheels. Although primarily intended as a replacement
for the Matador artillery tractor, other variants included an
articulated lorry tractor unit, a General Service or cargo lorry
with a longer wheelbase and as a chassis for mounting various
cranes and other heavy equipment. The Militant served with the
British Army (and others) in most parts of the world and was
intended as an improved artillery tractor but, following the Second
World War, the development of large artillery pieces was gradually
dropped in favour of more effective rockets and missiles. It was
credited with a good cross-country performance and was often used
to recover the six-wheel drive Alvis Stalwart amphibious
lorries that bogged in difficult conditions. 

This 1958 AEC Militant is extremely unusual as it was sold
directly into civilian life from new. It was ordered by
English Electric for supply to the National Coal Board who employed
it as a mines rescue vehicle. English Electric fitted it with a
generator to the flat bed and a winch on a separate trailer, towed
behind. This combination was used, in an emergency,
to retrieve the transport cages if they became stuck in
the main shaft of a mine. It served three coal mines in Kent
but was used infrequently, thus only covering a genuine 8,300
miles from new. With this rescue vehicle, also comes the
directions for the driver on how to get from one mine to the other,
displayed on original ordinance survey maps of the period. It
is also supplied with the original sales invoice giving a view
of its build with the NCB. The lorry is fitted with an
AEC 11.3 litre diesel engine giving an impressive 144hp and
driving through a five-speed gearbox with high and low ranges
giving a maximum road speed of 30mph. Drive to the front axle
is selectable, giving a six-wheel drive configuration when
required. Most variants, including this example, were fitted
with a chassis mounted winch that was driven through the gearbox
and operated from the cab. This winch, which was intended for
manoeuvring of the towed field gun and for self-recovery of the
vehicle, proved extremely strong and reliable. The vehicle has
been professionally maintained, is exempt from MoT
test and road tax and, interestingly, may be driven
on a car licence.
For sale by auction on Saturday 26 November 2016 with Historics at Brooklands, Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit, Weybridge, Surrey, Call 01753 639170

Historics at Brooklands Historics at Brooklands Weybridge | Surrey | 01753 639170