1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - Richard Petty Concept
The ONE and ONLY Richard Petty 50th Anniversary Pontiac NASCAR concept car
Conceived by Indy 500 winner Danny Sullivan
Created by Canepa Design
Many custom parts
Concept cars are almost never offered for sale to the general public let alone one that was authorized by a true living legend. That alone would be enough to make this car one in a million. But there is more! The design team included an Indy 500 winner and one of the hottest designers in the car world today. Add to that special factory prototype performance upgrades that make this car flat out scream and you have a car that takes your breath away!
This Pontiac is an extremely unique piece of Petty history and YOU can drive it!
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Petty Enterprises, Petty wanted to create a special Limited Edition NASCAR Pontiac that his fans could buy directly from their local Pontiac dealer. The project was conceived by Indy 500 winner Danny Sullivan who teamed with Bruce Canepa to create this one of a kind concept car. Petty was personally involved in the design of the car and approved every design element and performance upgraded developed for this project.
GM supplied the new Pontiac for the project and asked their performance division Delphi to developed special engine upgrades specifically for this car. The Delphi modifications increased the standard 240-horsepower supercharged V6 engines output to an outstanding 300-horsepower! The transmission, suspension and brakes have all been upgraded to handle the increase in horsepower and improve handling. Custom one off aluminum wheels, special painted Petty graphics, full leather interior with Petty's signature embroidered into each front seat and carbon fiber trim complete the package of this stunning concept car.
Excitement for the project extended beyond GM and the design team. Upon hearing of the project Canepa's friend and colleague Chip Foose came on board to design the graphic elements and to participate in color selections.
This is a true Factory Hot Rod with prototype parts and technology not seen outside of Detroit!
Upon completion the team along with Richard Petty presented the car to Pontiac and received rave reviews. It looked like the project was well on the way to becoming a reality until the bean counters got into the act. Ultimately the project was put on hold and this is the only car that was produced.
Pontiac returned the car to Canepa Design and it has been on display in our Motorsports museum ever since. Today its condition is absolutely spectacular and show ready. The car comes with original photographs signed by Richard Petty, Danny Sullivan, and Bruce Canepa. The photographs depict Petty with the car and also Petty, Sullivan, and Canepa with the car.
If you love NASCAR and Richard Petty then you can't pass up a once in a lifetime chance to own a piece of Petty's legacy
* Custom fabricated NASCAR style stainless steel upper & lower grille screens (brushed/clearcoat finish).
* Carbon/Kevlar NASCAR style rear deck lid spoiler with buttonhead stainless steel hardware.
* Custom Exterior Color Finishes - Petty Blue Pearl Metallic over Candy Tangerine Orange and White accents. Including custom painted Richard Petty signatures (side lower rockers & deck lid) and Petty #43 numbers (lower rockers).
* Custom designed Connolly leather throughout (graphite), including front and rear seats with Richard Petty embroidered signature panels. Driver and passenger leather door panel inserts with integrated Petty 50th Anniversary engraved plaques. (Each plaque includes Limited Edition designation, race win, date, and vehicle number).
* Additional Connolly leather appointments include front seat base covers, rear seat side trim panels and armrests, center console armrest, steering wheel, shift knob and boot.
* Carbon fiber instrument housing, cente